Wednesday 9 March 2011

Ford's Fully-connected Focus

As regular readers of the blog will know I am a bit of a fan of connectivity in cars.  I want Audiogalaxy in my dash. I want my tweets read out to me.  I want internet radio on the move.  I want seamless integration with the technology I use when my backside is resting behind the wheel and when my backside is resting behind the keyboard.  I am a geek on wheels I guess.
Not a pretty dash, but fully connected.
Ford have announced their Sync product for the UK market now. This is an integration tool
for the connected automobile.  Basically an electronic control hub in the car links with your iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone to integrate these with the Ford inbuilt entertainment and navigation functions.  Link it with an OBD reader as well and I'll be smiling.  Smiling is not what everyone will be doing though.  The feature which automatically calls the police if you have an accident may seem a little “spy in the cab” for most!


RCA ports for AV, USB and data cards
Ford have bundled voice control (which is the bit they seem to be hawking the hardest) as
well as a host of media ports - a couple of USB ports, Bluetooth, an SD card slot and RCA jacks for AV hookups – to ensure your media requirements are met. The Sync system also provides you with a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car which either comes from tethering your mobile or alternatively through an optional extra dongle.
The UI - its Microsoft based BTW.

No word on pricing as yet, and the first car to get Sync is the Focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment