Thursday 6 January 2011

Asteroid brings Android to the car dashboard


This is tech I like.

French Bluetooth kit manufacturer Parrot has designed an in-car head unit. The Asteroid runs Google Android (a rehashed phone implementation by the looks of it) to offer a real integrated next-generation experience.  Or at least that is the theory.  With GPS and Google Maps and Parrot's own turn-by-turn navigation this doesn't offer much we've not seen before.  Where things do get interesting is with 3G connectivity which comes via an optional dongle.   

Android in the dash - consumer style

Now the world of digital radio, internet radio and other streaming media such as Spotify is offered to the dashboard in a convenient package without having to build yourself a carputer.  I would hope the Asteroid offers support for iPlayer for BBC radio.  What I want is to be able to load my music to the cloud and listen to it anywhere on any device: My PC, my phone, my car stereo, my friend’s PC, the TV in the room in the hotel I'm checked into...  I'm sure the Asteroid isn't a perfect solution (its a v1.0 product after all) but device independent music streaming just took a step closer.  Now what about the data bundles, restrictions and costs associated with the 3G on this thing?

More here, and here and then here

2 comments:

  1. If it's running Android, why didn't they leave the standard google maps navigation in?

    You can do that music to the cloud stuff with Grooveshark on Android, works lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall check Grooveshark out, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete