Tuesday 18 January 2011

Mitsubishi in worst car name eVaH + "shocking" new eco city car...

Mitsubishi must have been checking my blog and having seen my interest in the Ford Focus with plug in power decided now was the optimum time for them to launch their own fully productionalised electric car into the UK market.  The i-MiEV (catchy name, huh?) goes on sale today at a not inconsiderable £24K.  And every one of these that goes to a punter has also cost you and me the British tax payer £5K in subsidies from the public purse to the pocket of the Mitsubishi buyer.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but “happy” wasn't the first word to come to my mind.

Car engine or washing machine? You decide.
So the i-MiEV is not cheap for a little car, and thats the thing which hit me first, but I appreciate that we have to stop equating “size” with “value” and “quality” - even with motor cars, is biggest always best?  I have to struggle to say no being as I drive a Cadillac Fleetwood as a daily driver but I digress.

UK version of the i-MiEV
£24K (really £29K without the subsidy) may seem a heck of a lot compared to another small well spec'd car but when you think there is no petrol to pay for, no road tax and no congestion charge If you live in an area affected by this extra taxation (areas outside London are getting it too boys and girls) then you can offset all this against the purchase cost.  Buyers will get the choice to have the Mitsubishi, Citroen or Peugeot badge on the car as the French manufacturers have a rebadging scheme in place so they can sell them through their own dealerships.  With the french reputation for vehicle electrics I would be surprised if less than 97% of these things ship with the Mitsubishi logo on them...

I'm sorry but this just made me ROFL
It looks kinda groovy, the dash is very sci-fi, and road test reports tell me it drives well, and it can take 80% charge on its 93 mile range in just 30 minutes.  But you know what?  I don't want one.  If the option were this or a G-Wizz or Sinclair C5 then I think I'd change my tune.  Now if you'll excuse me I need to speak to my mortgage advisor about raising the capital to buy another tank of unleaded for the Caddy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment